Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February 1, 2011 -- The Blizzard of '11

Well, I apologize that it has been so incredibly long since I have written. I have been busy and there is so much to fill you all in on. While I cannot and don't want to bore you with every little detail, I can give you some of the big ideas and facts to bring you up to speed.

View from my hotel window during the first week. 

I arrived in Chicago two weeks ago, and I have been going ever since. I found two roommates that go to Calvin, went on three interviews, selected an internship, and started TODAY! I moved into my apartment last week Saturday. This past weekend, I had the privilege of going to Grand Rapids to visit my roommate from Dordt who is student teaching, so that was fun!

Beyond that, I got an internship at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. I am working on some PR/Marketing/Communications "stuff" for their Money Smart Week Campaign. It is great! Although, I only worked today.

They ended up sending everyone home early and closing the bank tomorrow because of the snow. I can't believe the weather here...I mean, whoever thought I wouldn't make it here obviously doesn't know what it's like to live in Northwest Iowa. Iowa is one hundred times worse than Chicago!

Anyway, the biggest thing on the news (everywhere) is that we have this huge blizzard going through. Of course, it's the biggest storm since the storm of '67. While I don't find it to be any big deal (Iowa prepared me well) it is a big deal for everyone in the city. People are stalking up on batteries, water, food, candles, etc. I smile and kinda laugh a little.

I don't really know what to think about the people that are obviously very concerned. I suppose it can be overwhelming. But, what it did bring to mind were a few things. First, what a great opportunity to do what the Psalmist says. "Be still and know that I AM God." The city is literally at a stand still. People are panicked in a sense and don't know what to expect in the future. But, this brings me to the second thing that I thought of. Psalm 46 says, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." 


Needless to say, in the chaos and confusion of the area and the snow, we have no need to fear because God is our ever-present help in trouble.  So, even though we are in the midst of making history, we have no reason to fear!


Enjoy the rest of your week, and I'll just be here in Chicago, making history with the Blizzard of '11.

No comments:

Post a Comment