Monday, December 20, 2010

December 19, 2010 -- Rain, Rain, Go Away

Rain, Rain, Go Away, Come again another day...

Those words seem to be on my mind lately as it has done nothing but rain since I got home on Friday night. What happened to the California sun we are supposed to have all the time?!

Since being home, I have done about 7 loads of laundry (and somehow, more seems to keep coming), I have unpacked, but not everything (its hard to find places to put everything!), and I have seen a few friends (but not really for the amount of time I would like).

Time seems to fly and I feel like I am trying to get everything accomplished. Something that got my attention the other day when I was talking to my mom was this idea of using all my time to glorify and honor the Lord. Of course I've heard her say that a thousand times, and every time I'm just like, "Yeah, Mom. I know. Redeem my time as unto the Lord." But wow! What a thought. I think about all the time in the day that I "waste" and how I don't always redeem my time. I'm kinda lazy...

As I sat in church tonight, I ran across this verse from Isaiah 55:10-11. It says, "As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is My word that goes out of My mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Am I seizing every opportunity to be the Lord's mouthpiece and to take His word to the ends of the earth, to encourage and make disciples of all nations? Am I using this time, even in the rain, to be a vessel that is working to water the earth, and His people, in order that they may bud and flourish? But, in addition to using this verse as a charge for me to go forward, it caused me to think more seriously about if I was taking the time to allow the Holy Spirit to move and work in me; to fill me up with more of Him? This verse reminded me that His word is always working, even as it was working in me when I read it.

Of course, in many ways I am, but that doesn't mean that in this time--in this season of life--that I cannot be fed so that His word may not come back empty, but also take His word, even to those in my life who are doing well.

I realized that this break, is a time for me to learn to redeem my time, to grow and develop myself, to be fed by the Holy Spirit and replenished (even in this rainy week) and to be fully charged to take His word and light to Chicago in just a short month.

So, for now, Rain, Rain, Go Away, but I pray that the Lord continues to "Reign" in my life and that He would fill me so that His word may not come back to Him empty.

Blessings on your week!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful thoughts my friend! Very similar to the reminder laid out to us in church yesterday too- isn't it interesting how college can get us so caught up in ourselves!? At least I feel it often does! Have a wonderful day and hopefully the sun will poke through soon!

    ReplyDelete