Monday, December 27, 2010

December 27, 2010 -- Resolutions

Merry Christmas to all. Well, it's over now, but hopefully you had a fantastic Christmas. It's always surprising to me how much people look forward to Christmas. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. But, that's just me, I love Thanksgiving and Easter most. I find that those holidays hold a special place, almost more than Christmas.

Now, if you know me and you read that, of course you are saying in your head, "Michelle, the only reason you like Thanksgiving is because it is by your birthday." And, to an extent that is true, although, now after this year, I feel so incredibly old that I barely told people it was my birthday ha! (But just in case you were reading this today, its my 1/12ths birthday! Happy Birthday to me!)

The reason I celebrate my birthday every month is because I want to find something to be thankful for. In a sense, I am thankful that I have had another month to praise the Lord, glorify, honor, and serve His name. Of course, I'm not perfect, but why wouldn't you praise Him for giving you another month. And, it is a celebration of the fact that you are one month closer to meeting Him. I mean honestly, can you not wait to hear the words, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant"? I'm excited!

Regardless, Thanksgiving is overlooked, Halloween is over, Christmas begins and the National Holiday of Thanksgiving is overlooked. I'm really just trying to give it the credit it deserves! ;)

But, as we look to the end of the calendar year, we think about all that has gone on this past year and what we have to look forward to next year. It's a bittersweet time. Leaving behind the memories and things that happened and looking at what is ahead.

I know for me the future holds a lot of unknowns. And, for most of my friends, I think they would probably say something very similar. In just a few short months, I will graduate. I don't have to think about school, which is weird because for the past I don't know how long, that is what I thought about.

In addition, the New Year brings other unknowns: where will I end up? Will my family be OK? Where will I work? What is graduation going to be like? Lots of other questions too, but for the most part, I think a lot about things like this.

Most people have all kinds of questions regarding the New Year. And, as we look to the year past, and to the year ahead, we begin to get quite wrapped up in it all. Coming off of Christmas and rushing into the New Year, are we working to leave God room to work?

This morning, I was laying in bed, thinking. I have so much to do. I have so many things on my mind. I am getting stressed. What will Chicago be like? Will I make friends? Will I be ready to go? How am I going to finish everything around my house that needs to be done? Is everything going to be OK?

Through all of this, I remembered two things, first, the Lord put Psalm 46:10 on my heart. "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." The words, "Be still, and know that I am God," continued to resonate within me.

And, as soon as I had allowed my heart to be quiet and still. I remembered one of my other favorite verses, Philippians 4:4-9, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or hear from me, or seen in me--put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

Many of us are headed for uncharted waters, however, when we are still, and know, and present with thanksgiving our requests to the Lord, He will guard us, protect us, and give us His peace. That is a gift and a wonderful thing to be excited about.

I'm awful with resolutions, I never know what to say. Of course there are things I want to work on, but, do they need to be resolutions? I'm sure my friends and family could come up with hundreds of things they think I need to work on, and most of them are probably fairly warranted.

Most of all, my resolution has been and continues to be, a desire to dig deep and grow further into the Lord. Developing my spiritual life is more important, in some ways, than my physical life. Although, don't get me wrong, I still am aiming to do my best and honor and glorify the Lord in all I do, spiritual or physical.

So, until I figure out more clearly the direction of my life, or my spiritual goals, or my silly New Year's Resolutions, I will remain "still" and know that God is God.

Enjoy your day in service to the most High King!

No comments:

Post a Comment